The bike is the most functional and low maintenance vehicle that you can own, but the problem arises when you wish to carry these bikes overseas.
This extra weighted package can add a heavy dent to your pockets in the airports, but with a bike carrying case, you can save money and have the freedom to move your foldable bike anywhere!
These foldable cases are excellent choices for domestic travel too. Your mountain biking trips won’t cost you another paint job as the bag protects your car/SUV/Truck from scratches. These folding carry bags will lift the weight off your shoulders with their valuable yet straightforward practicality.
- Light,durable and waterproof
- Suitable for 14”-20″ folding bikes
- Wrapped by high density webbing
- Double-Layer thick fabric
- Suitable for 14”-20″ folding bikes
- Tear and abrasion resistant
- Heavy duty fabric
- Suitable for 26”-27.5″ even 29″ bikes
- Seperate Compartments Inside
You can now focus on your bicycling championships without worrying about the transportation hassle. Every time you use a bag, your bike will be waiting for you on the other side without any damage.
Best Overall: CamGo 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag
CamGo 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag is our winning folding bag because of its specs and benefits according to its price. This little helper will make your bike carrying experience smoother, guaranteed!
Let us look at its specs, benefits, and drawbacks to understand why this bag tops our list of best folding bike carry bags available on the market.
- Manufacturer: CamGo
- Material: 600D Polyester
- Size: 85 x 33 x 69 cm
- Weight: 1.2 kg
- Color: Black
- This folding bicycle case comprises high-intensity nylon, a 600D thickness plus a 300g non-woven interior for durability and abrasion resistance.
- CamGo 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag weighs 1.2 kg making it ultra-light and portable without the bike.
- The bag’s clever design makes it possible to store bikes starting from 14″ to 20″ without any issues. You won’t need to carry any extra bike parts in your hand. The bag ensures that each part gets safely tucked in.
- The adjustable shoulder strap is beneficial in carrying the bag with ease. You can adjust the bag’s strap length according to your height and preference.
- This bike carrying case is waterproof and wards off water from entering the bag. Your monsoon trips are back in action!
- CamGo 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag does not compromise with the quality as the company knows the importance of zippers. The entire bag is lined with a size ten zipper than a standard size five zipper for more sturdy usage.
- This product comes with a folding pouch to store the bag when not in use. These secure pouches keep the cover safe and save space in your house.
- Tiny wheels make the transportation very breezy as your shoulder won’t be taking all the pressure.
- This cover is perfect even for small distances as the bike won’t rattle in your trunk. If you have a habit of shackling your bike on the exterior of your vehicle, the chances for scratches are very high, but with this bag, your car’s paint is going to stay new.
- This folding bicycle case can store Dahon mariner d8, Zizzo, Solorocks 20″, Go Cycle GX, Schwinn 20″ bikes with ease.
- It would help a lot if this bike carry bag had clips to lighten the sewn part’s weight.
- The bag has the considerable drawback of not having a rubber at the bottom. This rubber would prevent the bag from tearing if it gets dragged, but you need to handle the bag pretty carefully to avoid ripping or tearing because of its absence.
The bag can turn into an emergency picnic mat or tarp because of its low zipper placement. Simply open the bag fully and protect yourself from the muddy ground.
CamGo 20″ is a perfect bag if you are looking for a simple carrying case for cars, boats, or public transport. We highly recommend that you avoid taking this bag for air travel purposes. Without few safety reinforcements, the product won’t stand the harsh airplane baggage loading and unloading.
Runner-up: Charwin 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag
Our Runner up for the best foldable bike bag is Charwin 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag. As the bag is made out of high-quality materials, you are bound to enjoy its use for several years. Let us look at this bag’s pros, cons, and our buying advice to help you decide if this is “the one.”
- Manufacturer: Charwin
- Material: 600D Oxford cloth
- Size: 33 x 16cm
- Weight: 1.2 Kg
- Color: Black
- Charwin 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag uses double-layer 600D Oxford cloth and 300G non-woven fabric for a sturdier bag option. This durable double-layer thick fabric at the bottom prevents tearing or ripping. No part of your bike will puncture through because of the double fabric placement.
- This bike carrying case is easy to carry and doesn’t weigh a lot. The extra protection makes this bag an excellent choice for car traveling.
- This folding bike bag has a 2-way adjustable strap to adjust the bag according to your height.
- Charwin 20 Inch Folding Bike Bag can store bikes ranging from 14″ to 20″ quite nicely. You need not worry about cut-to-cut fitting as your bag will still have some breathing room even after the entire bike is packed.
- The smooth and sturdy wheels are the best feature of this bag. You can very easily drag the pack on long airport terminals without pressuring your shoulders or wrists.
- This bag is totally weatherproof and mainly waterproof, so your expensive bike can stay dry and rust-free even during wet and harsh conditions.
- The sturdy zipper provides excellent strength to the bag, which is especially crucial for an overseas shipment.
- A compact drawstrings carry pouch seals the deal as you won’t find your cover lying in odd places when not in use.
The fabric carrying handles are very sturdy to carry around or to hold the entire bag in your hands, but your shoulders can get tired pretty quickly because of its design.
The fabric quality makes it possible to let this bag fly through airlines. The extra feature is its ability to travel overseas through airplanes despite its low price.
If you have a bike till 20″, feel free to buy this bag and have the freedom of carrying your case anywhere you wish. E-bike owners can sit this one out as the cover won’t fit their bikes entirely.
Alternative: Aophire Folding Bike Bag
Aophire Folding Bike Bag is our winner for the alternative options list. Let us look at its features, drawbacks, and buying advice to understand this study bicycle case.
- Manufacturer: Aophire
- Material: 600D Oxford Fabric
- Size: 15.35 x 9.76 x 5.59 inches
- Weight: 5.09 Pounds
- Color: Black
- The first and foremost benefit of this foldable bicycle bag is its hefty size. This large bag can easily store bikes from 26″ up to even 29″ with extreme ease. For a regular 700CC bike, consider removing just the front wheel to fit the entire cycle in the bag. You might need to remove the front wheel, handlebar, and cushion for a mountain bike. Aophire Folding Bike Bag is a perfect bag to carry heavy bikes with fat tires.
- The bag is made of high-quality 600D Oxford fabric + 300g Non-woven fabric for ultimate sturdiness.
- This bag comes with a zip pocket in the front to store little knick-knacks and essential bike accessories.
- Aophire Folding Bike Bag has separate dedicated compartments to provide outstanding protection against travel damage.
- This folding bicycle case is a great buy to take on a train, car, or air traveling expeditions.
- The tear-resistant fabric makes sure that you have a bag that lasts long even after several uses.
- Another great detail that helps with this bag’s robustness is the metal buckle. The metal keeps the belts in place and adjusts the belt smoothly.
- The cover comes with an extra storage bag to help you store the case neatly.
- This bag’s straps are not padded; continuous shoulder hanging will add unwanted shoulder pain. Few customers have noticed light bruises on their shoulders.
- Some customers complained that their bag was ripping from a particular place after flying once through the air.
The enormous size is a great extra feature of this product. You can very easily store an E-bike in this carrying case.
If you are buying this bag for traveling by air, we highly recommend that you bubble wrap the fragile parts like the pedal and cover the case with cardboard from the inside to provide maximum protection. You will have a great experience by air if you follow these steps.
Alternative: Evoc Bike Travel Bag Pro
Evoc Bike Travel Bag Pro is another excellent alternative you shouldn’t overlook. This foldable bicycle bag is packed with ultra-premium features. Let us look at a few essential pros and cons to understand this product’s specs.
- Manufacturer: Evoc
- Material: Ripstop-Nylon (PU coated), Rubber
- Size: 59 x 15 x 9 inches; 28 Pounds
- Weight: 18.9 pounds
- Color: Chilli Red
- This foldable bike storage bag has a hybrid construction that makes this product stand apart from the rest. The bag has the advantages of a hardshell case with the ease and benefits of a softshell case. You can store your cycle and avoid the extra baggage weight charges on your flight because of its lightweight properties.
- This bag uses heavy-duty PU coated Nylon-Ripstop fabric with a generous 10mm padding in high abrasion areas. The protective lining material is made out of woven PE fabric. These super sturdy materials make the bag tear-resistant, lightweight, and water-repellent.
- Its innovative reinforcing elements provide max protection even with rough handling. The rubber reinforcements take care of all the fragile edges of your bike.
- This large Evoc Bike Bag Pro can easily accommodate all-mountain, cross-country, endurance, free ride, downhill, road, and triathlon bikes.
- The bag has multiple carrying handles for easier handling. You don’t have to worry about holding the bag from a specific position as the company provides several handles, so you have the freedom of choosing the one that makes you feel the most comfortable.
- The high-quality, smooth-rolling wheels add a nice element to the entire bag. You do not need to carry such a heavy and bulky bag on your shoulders all the time.
- This foldable bike carry bag has a separate wheel compartment to safely store the wheel and keep the disk brake rotors and spokes extra safe.
- The company offers a 24-month warranty on all of its collapsible bike bags.
- Some of the bags had a few parts missing, like a frame pad. The customer service isn’t the most proactive in such cases either.
- The wheels tend to come off sometimes, so it is advised that you carry a little tool to fix your wheels if you are out traveling.
The product comes with a lovely vibrant red color, but you have few more color options to choose from. The extra premium protection feature wins the heart.
This bag is an excellent buy if safety is your number one concern. It will keep your bike safe and sound without causing a single scratch to your bike. If this case ticks all your requirement boxes, you can buy this product without thinking twice.
Alternative: CamGo 26 Inch Folding Bike Transport Bag
CamGo 26 Inch Folding Bike Transport Bag is our last but indeed not least product on this list. This bike bag is the best of both worlds, as the size, protection, and the price speaks for themselves. Consider reading the benefits and drawbacks for a better knowledge of the product’s features.
- Manufacturer: CamGo
- Material: 1680D nylon fabric
- Size: 51.2″ x 32.3″ x 9.8″
- Weight: 1.75 kg
- Color: Black
- CamGo 26 Inch Folding Bike Transport Bag is made out of high grade 1680D thickened fabric plus a 300G Non- woven interior fabric for a high tensile strength and abrasion resistance feature.
- The bag is 100% waterproof, keeping the pack dry from the inside even during heavy rainfall.
- The company gives you an extra chained pocket to store little bike equipment and tools.
- The huge size makes it easier to store 20″-26″ bikes without any extra force or effort.
- The bag is entirely ideal for airplanes, trains, cars, boats, and subways.
- This foldable bicycle bag has a different frame and wheel compartment to avoid unwanted abrasion and scratching.
- One other benefit is its sturdy thick zipper that keeps the bag’s contents in place.
- The company includes a buggy bag to store the case after its use.
- The bag won’t last for continuous use; consider this as a bag for occasional use.
- The straps can become a little uncomfortable if worn for an extended period.
- Heavy bikes tend to cause light tears very quickly.
The low zipper placement feature allows the bag to be used as a tarp or mat to sit on during hikes.
If you are looking for a budget bag, we recommend buying it. You can use the bag twice or thrice for air traveling and quite a few times for general road traveling.
Best Folding Bike Carry Bag: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How much does it cost to transport a bike on a plane?
Flying with a bike is not as easy as it sounds, especially if you are new to the airline guidelines.
Before packing, you need to make sure that you have thorough research ready for the airline you wish to travel to; this will help you avoid unpleasant surprises at the airport. Although there are many things to consider and each airline has a different baggage rule, we have included some helpful information regarding significant airlines.
Most airlines will calculate your bike storage bag in linear inches. For calculating the linear inches, airport personnel calculates your bag’s length, width, and depth. Let us look at few airlines that are the absolute best for traveling.
The three golden airlines for bikers:
Alaska airlines do not charge any extra fee for bike bags. They consider bike carrying cases average luggage, so your bags get charged with just standard baggage fees. The oversize and overweight fees are also waived for bike storage bags.
American airlines do not charge for bike bags and don’t charge for overweight bags, but they charge a $150 hefty fee if your case is over 50lbs.
Like American and Alaska, Delta doesn’t charge extra for bicycle bags. The baggage fees vary on where you wish to travel and where you are boarding the plane. The minimum fee can range anywhere from $30 for 1st checked bag to $100 for 2nd checked one. There is still a size and weight limit, so you might need to pay a fee upwards of $200 for a bike bag over 50Lbs.
Other airlines that charge more:
- Max weight: 50lbs
- Max dimensions: 138 linear”
- Bike Fee: The bike bag-free is considered part of the checked bag allowance. If you use your back allowance, you will need to pay extra. The charges depend on the flight’s information. You need to compulsorily make reservations at least 72 hours in advance to avoid getting charged $400. Bags above weight limits will incur additional charges.
- Max weight: 70lbs
- Max dimensions: 110 liner”
- Bike Fee: The airline charges a standard sports equipment fee anywhere around $80-$280 one-way, depending on the destination. We strongly recommend a reservation of more than 24 hours.
- Max weight: 100lbs
- Max dimensions: 109 linear”
- Bike Fee: Frontier airlines charge a minimum of $75 for one way. They have a strict weight policy, so the airline will not accept bikes above 100lbs.
Air Canada Airlines
- Max weight: 70lbs
- Max dimensions: 115 linear”
- Bike Fee: Air Canada charges a one-way handling charge of $50. You need to pre-register 24 hours in advance. Extra fees will be levied if the bag is over the size and weight limits. Handling fees are usually waived for business and first-class.
Can I take a folding bike on the plane?
Yes, you can take your folding bike on the plane without any issues. You will need to understand your desired airline’s baggage policy to get a full view of the baggage situation. Few things to keep in mind:
- Each airline has a different weight and size limit policy.
- Some airlines calculate your bicycle as checked baggage while others consider it as sports baggage, special baggage, sports equipment, and you will need to pay extra for such airlines.
- Invest in a good quality bag; you can rely on our bike bags list for that.
- Take the necessary steps to pack the bike safely and securely.
- Always call the airport way ahead of your time and know about your baggage policy. Ask them about hidden and overweight charges too.
- If you wish to stay away from this hassle, then bike renting is another feasible option that you should look into. At Pro Cycling in Majorca, you have the option of renting top-class bikes per week.
Can I take my bike to the train?
Yes, you can legally carry your bike on the train if you follow a few of the following rules:
For the UK
All bikes are allowed on the trains but beware of rush hours and peak time restrictions. It is not advised and qualified to carry your bike during that time. However, a folding bike is allowed during peak hours.
There are no extra charges to travel by train, but you might need to book a bike reservation space depending on the type of train you wish to board. Apart from that many UK stations provide free bicycle parking too.
For the US
It is entirely free to take your bike on the Metro Rail provided your bike checks all the guidelines. It will help if you walk your bicycle on train platforms and through stations. Always enter at doors marked with a bright yellow sign on the right.
Keep the entrance and aisles clear and stand with your bicycle in the designated area on the train. You can use stairs and elevators, but escalators are strictly prohibited while entering or exiting the station. Folding bikes are always encouraged. You can carry your electric bike if it’s the size of a standard bicycle and subject to Metro security personnel’s safety inspection.
What size of bag do I need for my bike?
The bag’s size ultimately depends on the type of bike you own. We recommend that you avoid buying bags that are way too small or way too big for your bike.
If you have a standard bicycle, then a 20″ folding bag would be the best fit but if you have a mountain bike or e-bike, then try a bag that holds more than 26″. These bags are perfect for big and bulky bikes.
You can also invest in a hard shell cover if your bike is expensive and you do not mind paying extra weight charges at the airport.
Buying a bike bag needs patience, and the right bag will keep your bike protected from all the exterior elements. Always check your bike’s size and keep in mind your checklist before buying any bag.
Consider buying if a particular bag fits all the boxes. If you are traveling by plane, read their policies beforehand. Keep your bike well protected with a good-quality folding bike cover.